CartoDB is changing the way maps are made by building the easiest and most powerful data mapping engine ever.
The amount of location-based data is exploding, and from biodiversity to transportation to marketing, people around the world are using CartoDB to visualize their data to make better decisions. We have more than 170,000 loving users (growing rapidly) and customers around the world, and have just announced a $23 million Series B round of fundraising.
We’re looking for an experienced Site Reliability Engineer to ensure that CartoDB’s performance stays ahead of our rapid growth. This role requires strong understanding of the full range of components of a web stack. We are looking for someone to work side by side with other engineers on solving technical challenges that affect the CartoDB platform. You’re someone who cares about monitoring and who approaches every project with a contingency plan in mind.
- Ensure smooth, speedy, and reliable operation of CartoDB, even at peak usage
- Implement, refine, and use monitoring tools to ensure performance and troubleshoot bottlenecks
- Automate away repetitive processes
- Minimize the impact of maintenance on our user base
- Strong understanding of web application architecture fundamentals, including TCP/IP, networking, HTTP, and caching strategies
- Experience with high performance distributed Linux environments, including security protocols
- Experience working with scripting languages like Ruby, Python or Bash.
- Experience with configuration management tools (ex: Chef, Puppet).
- Strong communication skills, both written and in person, and an open, collaborative approach.
- A level head, always.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Regular involvement in the mapping and tech communities. We host lots of events and organize code sprints, and last year >80% of our team spoke at - conferences.
- Bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks and good coffee
Most important we offer the chance to help build a wildly successful company that puts the power of mapping in the hands of basically everyone.